7 Practices for Safer Computing
Being on guard online helps you protect your information, your computer, even yourself. To be safer and more secure online, adopt these seven practices:
- Protect your personal information.
- Know who you’re dealing with.
- Use anti-virus software and a firewall, and update both regularly.
- Be sure to set up your operating system and Web browser software properly, and update them regularly.
- Protect your passwords.
- Back up important files. (Save on removable disk, password/encrypt and store in secure location)
- Learn who to contact if something goes wrong online.
Visit OnGuardOnline.gov and click on “File a Compliant” to learn how to respond if problems occur when you’re online.